Error messages occur when instructors have set, in conjunction with Turnitin (TII), the “Available from” date on the Assignment settings in WorldClassRoom to:
- Any date before students are loaded
- A date more than a year in the past
There is no need to use a date before the term starts (in either Turnitin or WorldClassRoom) so it is best to remove any dates that occur before the official start of the term.
There are dates, however, that are set by the Turnitin (TII) system as soon as you touch the assignment. If you want to use "availability" dates to prevent students from seeing an assignment before a specific time determined by you, then do the following:
1. If you are setting dates after students have been loaded, go to the Assignments list and unpublish the assignment in question. If students haven’t been loaded yet, there is no need to unpublish.
2. Click on the Assignment and then click on "Edit Assignment Settings" to open up the assignment properties. Scroll down through the assignment properties and remove the “available from date.” Save the changes.
3. The error message should now be gone and you should see the Turnitin Inbox.
4. Click on the TII settings. You will notice that the Due Date is grayed out – this cannot be changed in the TII settings (but can be changed in the Assignment settings).
Basic Turnitin Settings
5. You can and should change the Start Date (This should be changed to the day students are loaded or after OR to the desired "Available from" date) and the Feedback Release Date (Change this to one day after the Due date).
6. Submit your changes.
7. Go back into Edit Assignment settings, add back in your “Available from” date then Save and Publish the assignment.
Canvas has created several very useful guides for creating and managing Turnitin assignments. These are listed below: